How to Get a Legal Cannabis License in Vancouver
In order to operate a Cannabis retail store in Vancouver, you must apply for a Provincial license which is regulated by the BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act. Since the provincial license allows stores to sell legal Cannabis products that have met all health and law regulations, you too will need to apply for one if you are interested in entering this industry.
And you know what? We, at ARCannabis, are going to guide you through this process and help you get a legal Cannabis license in Vancouver. We too were once on your place and we know how hard it can be at the beginning. This is why we want to make the process of getting a license as simple as possible for all of you, future owners of Cannabis retail stores. Therefore, if you want to learn more about this matter, make sure to keep reading!
What has changed after the legalization day?
As you already know, on October 17, 2018, Canada legalized cannabis use for recreational purposes. Both the general industry and Canadian consumers were very pleased with this decision - the legal Cannabis industry is booming because of it and consumers in Canada can now get quality products that are meeting all Canadian Cannabis regulations. However, this isn’t the only change that has happened after the legalization day.
● Thanks to legalization, personal use is more regulated. Only those who are 19 or older can purchase and possess Cannabis products. Those who are younger than 19 can’t even enter Cannabis retail stores!
● Products you can buy at retail stores are much safer than those you can purchase on the black market. Licensed retailers have to follow every safety measure and regulations in order to produce quality and safe products. On the other hand, illegal Cannabis isn’t tested and you can never know whether it was grown properly or not.
● Legal Cannabis supports the economy. Even though it is still too early to talk about the results of legalization, we simply have to mention this fact - since legalization, the Cannabis sector in Canada contributed $8.3 billion to its gross domestic product!
So, if you were wondering why you should buy legal Cannabis instead of opting for the black market, remember these facts. One thing is for sure - when you have a license, you are telling people that your products are safe and made of the highest quality.
Types of Cannabis business license you can get in Vancouver
If you are interested in applying for a Cannabis business license, you need to fully understand the types of licenses that exist so that you know which one to get. Worry not - there are only two of them:
1. Retail Dealer business license - For Cannabis stores that are selling only non-medical cannabis
2. Compassion Club business license - For non-profit societies that aren’t selling Cannabis but are advocating its use for medical purposes and are providing a wider range of health services to members
A step-by-step guide to getting a legal Cannabis license in Vancouver
Do you now know which type of license you need to get? If the answer is yes, let’s go together through the steps of getting a legal Cannabis license in Vancouver. Make sure to read the following carefully and write things down if it is necessary.
Step 1: Meeting municipal requirements
You can’t have a Cannabis retail store wherever you want! You need to meet specific municipal requirements. Your retail store needs to be in a commercial zone and at least 300m from schools, neighbourhood houses, community centers, youth facilities, and other Cannabis retail stores.
Step 2: Getting a municipal development permit
If your business already has an existing City of Vancouver development permit and you want to open a Cannabis retail store, you can proceed to step 3. However, if you don’t have one, make sure to get it because it will allow you run your business without impediments.
Step 3: Getting a provincial Cannabis retail license
After you get a municipal development permit, you will be able to apply for a provincial Cannabis retail license. This license is enforced and regulated by the BC Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch under the Cannabis Control and Licensing Act.
Step 4: Getting a municipal business license
After a provincial license is approved, you will be ready for applying for your municipal business license. Keep in mind that this license will only be issued after occupancy and building permits are closed, and a City inspection is complete.
There you have it, these are the four steps you need to go through in order to get a legal Cannabis license in Vancouver. Until then, feel free to check out the location of our stores and shop some of our amazing products we have prepared for all of you!